Familia: TQLM is a national organization with a focus on transgender and queer Latinx rights, immigrant rights and racial justice. Our mission is to achieve the collective liberation of the trans and queer Latinx community, along with our families, through engagement in grassroots organizing, advocacy and education.
The Communications Coordinator will develop and pitch stories along with maintaining positive media relationships, all with the purpose of amplifying the trans and queer Latinx community. The Communications Coordinator will ensure Familia: TQLM’s message and vision are clearly reflected in traditional media. They will also develop and write content for the organization’s social media platforms.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as the main contact with media outlets and develop earned media strategies
- Organize press conferences and media briefings
- Draft press materials as necessary, including releases and advisories
- Serve as a media spokesperson for the organization
- Cultivate and further develop Familia: TQLM’s relationships with print, online, and broadcast media
- Further refine organization’s branding by developing messaging and talking points that advance Familia: TQLM’s mission and vision
- Train spokespeople in Familia TQLM’s messaging and talking points
- At least 3-5 years of communications experience with demonstrated success using traditional media and/or social media in furthering the goals of grassroots campaigns.
- Experience collaborating with trans & queer Latinx communities, including LGBTQ undocumented Latinxs.
- Experience building relationship with members of the media at the local and national level.
- Bilingual English/Spanish fluency required.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are essential.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and conflict resolution skills.
- Strong leadership abilities with the ability to work in a team setting and successfully manage multiple responsibilities at once.
Salary & Benefits:
Salary range is competitive and commensurate with the candidate’s experience and skills. Comprehensive benefits include medical, dental, and vision coverage.
Submit a resume, cover letter, and 1-2 page writing sample to Jorge Gutierrez at firstname.lastname@example.org by February 15th, 2019.